I saw her eyes probing the object, a black square with no apparent feature. Behind the long eyelashes the green globes turned to me:
– “And may I ask what the content of this thing might be, if any?”
– “I cannot be absolutely sure… You see, like so many, I died in 2084, a while back…” smiling at the very beautiful young goddess in front of me… “and I lost track of all this. But what I can tell you is what it contained back then, before the fall…”
Hesitantly she said, as I remained silent: “and so… what was it, if this is not intruding?”
“Not at all, this old technology held millions of pictures, everything I could catch, wherever I went, in the days I could still roam this world… Pictures of people, trees, buildings, animals, objects…”
– “This must be worth a fortune… How can I be sure that those pictures are still there though?”
– “Well, this might be pricey, you see no-one is left today who really understands how this sort of thing works. I’d need to search for other items, cables, power boxes, that sort of thing…”
But I knew this was meaningless to her. The amazons had only very primitive technology, and their main weapons were all psychic. Still she was so attractive, for an old fleshless ghost like me.
– “I’ll tell you what. I propose a deal: I get this working and open the content for you, if you allow me in your village. How does that sound?”
I could see she hesitated, deep in thoughts. Of course she would have to consult with her coven. But I had plenty of time.
After a few hours of silence, she finally said: “We have a deal, I had to take responsibility for you… Will you find the other things you need?”
– “Sure,” I replied, “in my days I would have climbed mountains for you…”
Image: Dora Maar, Double Portrait, 1930